The annual SAS Staff Excellence Recognition program highlights and celebrates staff who have distinguished themselves in service excellence, dedication to the School of Arts and Sciences, and to our faculty, students, and constituents. Dean March recognized the 2019 SAS Staff Excellence Award winners at a ceremony at Winants Hall. Among those winners was CCB's infamous lab support specialist, Bob Porcja.
Porcja uses in-class demonstrations to spark students' interests in an often intimidating subject. He designs demonstrations in coordination with CCB professors to turn principles they cover in class into something more tangible. Connecting with the material visually helps students grasp concepts more easily and retain information longer. Porcja is dedicated to ensuring classroom safety and delivering demonstrations with the most effective presentation.
Porcja's demonstrations most recently appeared on NJTV during a segment on a new and exciting CCB course called Chemistry of Art. Professor Geeta Govindarajoo asked him to perform demonstrations that integrated artistic principles, and he was excited at the chance to examine science in a new way.
As coordinator of the Rutgers Chemistry Lecture Demonstration Facility, Porcja aims to provide quality educational experiences for chemistry students, increase the visibility of the department, and elevate the reputation of Rutgers as a top tier learning institution. In addition to providing lecture demonstration support for faculty campus-wide, the CLDF is also engaged in education and outreach efforts within Rutgers, the state of New Jersey, and nationwide.
The award criteria listed below describes values shown by all winners of the SAS Staff Excellence Recognition Award:
- Demonstrates ongoing excellence in service to faculty, staff, students, and community
- Exhibits initiative and creativity in developing solutions to problems that result in improved service and/or efficiency and effectiveness of an operation, unit, and/or school
- Promotes productive relationships, strives to motivate and support others, contributes to a collaborative work environment, and promotes positive morale
- Demonstrates a commitment to and support of the School’s values, including: discovery and innovation; promoting diversity and inclusion; strengthening community engaging the public; and, leadership at Rutgers, in the community and world
- Must be full-time staff employees (non-academic employees) working in the School of Arts and Sciences for at least one year